Suspicious you may have Adult ADHD? Well get excited!!
ADHDers are often the movers and shakers of the world. Think of the worlds top CEO’s, inventors, entrepreneurs, superstars – most of them have ADHD. Richard Branson, JFK, Thomas Edison, Jim Carey, Michael Jordan, Justin Bieber are among the megastars.
After stumbling across a random checklist on Adult ADHD, I found myself ticking way too many boxes. Curiosity led me down a deep rabbit hole of investigating whether ADHD could be responsible for my colourful 44 years on this planet.
Surprise, surprise… I got the tick of approval and was diagnosed with Adult ADHD at the ripe old age of 44. I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry and since that day I have been researching like crazy how to understand my unique wiring.
Now there are definite superpowers and equally as many challenges. Knowledge is power though. When we harness the good stuff, the skies the limit and when we shine a light on the challenges we can simply build the scaffolding around it to support us.
One certainty is, my life has changed dramatically for the better since my diagnosis and treatment, which is why I’m passionate about sharing my findings with others.
Take a quick scan through the 50 clues below to see how many get those little alarm bells tinkling…
- When you find something you love could you do it all day and all night? (they call it hyper focus).
- Do you HAVE to do things your own way?
- Do you flip conversations randomly?
- Do you feel a sense of underachievement, of not meeting your goals (regardless of how much you have actually accomplished)
- Do you have two modes – completely bored or utterly obsessed?
- Do you have trouble getting organised? When you open your cupboards do things fall out? And maybe a floordrobe rather than a wardrobe?
- When you get a good idea do you have to do it immediately!
- Are you terrible with names, dates, times, birthdays?
- Are you a chronic procrastinator or have trouble getting started?
- Do you have lots of projects going on but have trouble following through?
- Are you restless or fidgety (alternatively you look calm on the outside but your insides are restless and fidgety)
- Do you tend to overshare?
- Do you sometimes feel like an imposter and that people will find out that you have no idea about simple things you really should know about?
- Do you thrive under high pressure? Are you great in a crisis?
- Are you easily distracted? Ooh… bright and shiny!
- Have you had many different jobs or do you work for yourself?
- Are you always looking for stimulating things to do?
- Do you tune out in the middle of a conversation and pray the other person doesn’t ask you a question about what they’ve been saying?
- Do you change plans frequently? If you think you don’t…ask your friends.
- Do you tend to leave deadlines until the last minute?
- Are you highly creative with new ideas bubbling up in your brain daily?
- Are you intuitive, can sense peoples feelings and have strong empathy?
- Do you have a tendency to speak before you think? Put your foot in your mouth? In Australia we call it dropping clangers.
- Are you impatient easily frustrated – does standing in a queue make you furious or if someone is waffling on and not getting to the point do you want to shake them?
- Are you hot tempered?
- Do most of your closest friends act a lot like you? They just ‘get you’.
- Do you impulsively spend money but find creative ways to justify everything?
- Are you super sensitive to criticism?
- Do you find it challenging to work for other people as you can see better ways of doing things?
- Do you often feel insecure?
- Are you impulsive and drawn to risk taking, excitement or things that are bad for you such as drugs, binge drinking, binge eating, overworking or compulsive shopping? Maybe even addicted?
- Do you feel your emotions are hard to control? This is called emotional dysregulation.
- Do you take shortcuts? Near enough is good enough right?
- Do you forget appointments? Or struggle to get places on time?
- Do you feel down when you don’t have a project on the go that you’re really into?
- You have an intense desire to fulfil your potential?
- Do you feel restless physically or mentally? Like you’re driven by a motor?
- Do you have low self esteem?
- Has anxiety been a close friend of yours? Do you worry about trivial things all the time but sometimes not worry about actual dangers?
- Are you not sure if you’re really bright or a little bit dumb?
- Do you have difficulty stopping something you’re really in to?
- Do you get speeding fines or have you had a few careless bingles in your car… with poles and things.
- Would you rather stuck pins in your eyes than do your bookwork?
- Do you have a blood relatives who suffer from ADHD, another neurological disorder, or substance abuse.
- Do you feel you have omni-potential like you could do almost ANYTHING!!!… if only you could get started/engaged.
- Do you struggle on holidays where you’re meant to lay around a pool and do nothing?
- At school did you excel in the subjects you were into and struggle in the ones that bore your brains out?
- Do you jiggle your leg, tap your pen, or make other annoying noises?
- Do you start a project or task without reading or listening to directions carefully? Do you avoid reading manuals?
- Do you fail to follow through on commitments or promises you make to others?
Hmmm… so how did you go? If you read along and wondered if I am psychic because I seem to know you a little too well… then it might be worth looking into an assessment.
One piece of advice if you do go down the rabbit hole – do your research and make sure you see someone who specialises in Adult ADHD as many doctors are not up to speed and are quick to dismiss it.
If you’re more of a visual person checkout my youtube clip. https://youtu.be/X_gmsXfhCuo
Angie Hilton is executive producer and host of Destination Happiness TV series which airs on the Discovery Network and Channel 9 Australia. Sign up to keep up to date with all the latest on happiness from around the globe.